6 cups of Rhubarb (about 3 pounds)
2 1/4 cups of water
1/4 cup of Lemon Juice
1 PKG of MCP Pectin (We use 2 oz. of our Apple Pectin)
8 1/2 cups of Sugar (Measure into separate bowl and set aside)
10 8 oz. Jars, lids, and rings.
Prepare Jars and Lids:
Boil jars on a rack in a saucepan filled with water for 10 minutes.
Place new, flat lids, in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well.
Prepare the Rhubarb:
Wash and cut into 1/2 – 1 inch pieces.
There is no need to peel or string it.
In a sauce pan stir in water, lemon juice, and Rhubarb pieces.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rhubarb becomes very soft.
Make the Jam:
1. Place the rhubarb mixture into a 6 to 8 quart sauce pan and add pectin, mixing thoroughly.
2. Bring the Rhubarb mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat (A boil that does not stop while being stirred). Stir Constantly to prevent scorching.(Reduce to medium heat if scorching occurs)
3. Stir in sugar, mixing well. Bring back to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
4. Once the mixture reaches a full boil, continue to boil for 4 more minutes. A 1/4 tsp of butter or margarine can be added at this time to minimize foaming.
5. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
6. Quickly fill the jars an 1/8 of an inch to the top. Wipe off the jar rims. Cover quickly with flat lids. Screw rings on tightly. Invert Jars 5 minutes, then turn upright.
7. After an hour check seals.